There are many well-known arthritis facts and some that are not so well known. We come across patients every day that suffer from arthritis of the joints, most notably knees, hands and elbow and shoulder who could certainly understand their disease better.
We have selected some of the most common and interesting facts for you…
Interesting Arthritis Facts
- arthritis is not an age related disease
- approximately 50 million Americans suffering from arthritis
- two-thirds are under the age of 65
- about 300,000 American children have arthritis
- arthritis is musculoskeletal disorder
- approximately 100 different diseases that fall under the arthritis classification
- the three most common forms of arthritis:
- Osteoarthritis (OA), the most common form of arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Juvenile Arthritis (JA)
- yearly arthritis accounts for 44 million outpatient visits and 992,100 hospitalizations
- 67 million Americans are projected to have arthritis by 2030
- exercise is beneficial for Osteoarthritis (OA) and Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- maintaining a healthy weight is important – did you know…
- every one pound of weight loss results in four pounds of pressure taken off each knee
As you can see, arthritis has a significant impact on not only on individuals but the American health care system and will continue to do so.
Is your arthritic joint impacting significantly your day to day activities?
Call us at 580-353-8600 to schedule an appointment.
904 SW 38th Street, Lawton, OK, 73505 Directions
Adapted from the following source Arthritis Foundation.